Thursday, July 2, 2009

There's a deer on my street!


I was standing in my driveway in the middle of the day and I heard the clopity-clop of hooves that sounded like horses. As I turned to look, there was a whole herd of deer walking up the middle of the street. This is not uncommon to see in my neighborhood, but I am usually in the house looking out the window at them-not standing in the driveway just fifteen feet away.

I had to chuckle as I thought about those days when I used to deer hunt. I would spend weeks before the season started going through the woods looking for the best place to make my stand. I'd look for deer paths, rubs, and scrapes. I had religiously read all articles and advice in my monthly issue of North American Whitetail Deer Hunter magazine.

I recall one opening day. I enthusiastically woke up at some God forsaken hour of the morning to ensure I would be in the woods and arrive at my stand well before the first whisper of day light graced the horizon.

As I stood there, I employed all my senses... watching... listening... and smelling. I don't exactly know what I was supposed to be smelling but I figured that since I had to breath anyhow, I might as well try to smell something. Then I heard it coming... from a distance... the faint sound of rustling leaves. My heart was pounding. I became hyper vigilant as my eyes strained to see through the moonlight-illuminated brush. My mind played tricks on me as I thought I saw a deer moving. Did I? No, it was just a cluster of dead leaves on a branch blowing in the early morning breeze.

The rustling sound intensified, telling me this trophy buck was getting closer and closer. The seconds passed like minutes. The anticipation was excruciatingly painful. How big would he be? How many points would the rack have? Would I get a clear shot? Then he came clearly into view.

It was a squirrel. A squirrel!! Noooooo! I waited all this time in anticipation of a huge trophy buck... with visions of my kill gracing the cover of a magazine. I wasn't anticipating being confronted by a squirrel. I went from exceedingly excited to exceedingly disappointed-and ANGRY! I was duped by a forest rat. Now what? My adrenalin was dumped. I left my stand and just wandered through the woods for the rest of the day.

I never saw another deer that day. I don't know if it was because of my aimless wandering or if it was because I shot every squirrel I could lay my cross hairs on. Ok, that was a slight exaggeration. I didn't shoot EVERY squirrel I saw. I ran out of ammunition after 16. (I trapped and stabbed four more after that.)

I never went deer hunting again. The following spring I sold my entire collection of North American Whitetail Deer Hunter magazine (27 issues) in a garage sale for $2.00.

And that... officer... is why I shot this deer from my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment