Sunday, July 19, 2009

The dog days of summer

I found my life's mission... on a bumper sticker. That sounds like the making of a good country song. If I were talented enough to write lyrics, I'm sure it would be a hit. Sounds like a good song for Toby Keith to sing. He's always doing those songs with quirky names... Beer for my horses... Who's your daddy?... I wanna talk about me. I'm not knocking him. I like his music. He'd be the perfect crooner for my song.

About the bumper sticker. It read: I want to be the person my dog thinks I am. After I read it, I spent the next several miles of my journey thinking about how unconditional the love of a dog is. Only a dog is like that. Cats are not like that. Cats have attitude. Cats only seem to be happy to see you when you're standing at the can opener and the blades are grinding open a can of Little Friskies. It is only then that a cat nuzzles up against your shins as if to say 'I love you so much.' Let the cat finish its bowl of jellied delight... and you're back to being a nobody.

A dog on the other hand, always loves you. A dog never judges. A dog never gets angry at you if you're gone all day. A dog is always happy to see you... tail wagging bliss. You don't get that kind of reaction from a hamster, a hermit crab or a gold fish.

Have you ever seen that movie called Like Father Like Son, starring Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron. The plot of the movie is that some strange potion causes the father and son to switch places and they live for a while in each other's bodies.

Imagine if you scored some of that potion and could switch the bodies of your teenage son and your dog. When you arrived home after a long day of work, your son would be at the front door... overjoyed to see you... giving you all his love and attention... as your dog sat on the couch... Ipod buds in his ears... texting on his Iphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment