Sunday, January 3, 2010

Father-Son Bonding



Sometimes, when you’re least expecting, an opportunity for bonding comes into your midst. Such was the case today when I took my eldest son to the hardware store. It seemed like such a non-event, picking up a couple of replacement bolts and washers. But, for some reason, this trip was special for me.

Just before Christmas he decided that when he graduates he’s going to serve our country as a United States Marine. I am very proud of him and the direction he has chosen. Now, every moment spent together is even more precious. Even a trip to the hardware store and a discussion about bolts and washers becomes special time.

All parents know the day will come when our little ones leave the nest and venture out into the grown ups world. We wonder if we’ve taught them everything they need to know to be successful… to be happy… to be safe. I guess we never really know.

I recall the countless number of times I growled at him for playing video war games. Now I question if he played enough of those games to develop skills that will help him survive as a Marine. I guess those questions will be answered in time.

In the meantime, I will take advantage of every opportunity I can to bond over bolts and washers in the hardware store, and pray to God with all my might that he is ever vigilant. Semper Fi, my son, Semper Fi.

Fire Chief (ret.) Richard B. Gasaway, PhD, EFO, CFO, MICP
www.RichGasaway.com
... and proud parent of a soon-to-be United States Marine

1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy your blogs. You have good reason to be proud of your son. Military service is a life changing experience and will make him a better person.

    I thank him for his future service and wish him well.

    ReplyDelete