Friday, November 27, 2009

Hot dogs are social food

I was with a friend the other day and we stopped and got a hot dog. As I was eating it and enjoying the conversation, I quickly realized that hot dogs (at least for me) is a social food. I cannot recall ever eating a hot dog alone. Maybe it's because I'm not particularly fond of the tubules of compressed pig lips and knuckles. Ya, I eat them when there's no good alternative and ya, I enjoy the taste with the right proportion of condiments. I like ketchup, mustard and relish on my dogs.

I had to think back on when and where I've eaten most of my hot dogs. By far, the first place winner is on the golf course when we've made the turn from the front nine to the back nine. They're quick and easy and they taste good with a beer. Second place is picnics and other gatherings of people in mass. And finally, at professional sporting events, where you're sure to pay for one dog what a package of dogs cost at the grocery store.

I don't recall ever getting a craving to eat a hot dog out of the blue. But I do know that when I smell them cooking, something inside me triggers the urge to have one and often causes me to recall some fond memories of being with friends and family. What other foods would you classify as social foods?

Richard B. Gasaway, PhD
www.RichGasaway.com

1 comment:

  1. I just told my wife the other night that ice cream is a social food for me. I can't remember ever eating it alone. Not that I don't like it, but it just seems to taste better when you eat it with someone. Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete