Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reinventing Baseball

Ok, so I'm sitting at my son's baseball game... in the rain. It's cold and windy. I suspect that most of the parents, like me, enjoy watching their sons play baseball... when the sun is shining. Even a cloudy day is ok. As I'm sitting there under my umbrella (which only keeps my upper body dry as the water runs off and drenches my pants) I'm thinking to myself... there has got to be a way to improve the efficiency of baseball. Every time a team takes the field there are warm-ups. Each warm up takes about 5 minutes. This particular game has seven innings. That's FOURTEEN warm-ups. At five minues a warm-up, they spend seventy minutes(!!!) just warming up.

Ok, time to reinvent baseball. In a seven inning game each team will have seven times at bat and each time at bat they get three outs. That's twenty-one outs. If each team only batted once, the first team batting until they amassed twenty-one outs and then their opponent batting until they amassed twenty-one outs (or outscored the opponent), then baseball games would take much less time.

Maybe this could be become a "foul weather rule." I'm ok with spending the extra hour+ enjoying good weather but when it's nasty out, the kids aren't having fun, the coaches aren't having fun, the umpires aren't having fun, and the parents aren't having fun. So why prolong the agony. It's time to reinvent baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment